Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Environmental Consciousness: The Corporate Interpretation

With the upsurge in environmental awareness over the past few years, public pressure has forced large corporations to follow suit. Most department stores and grocery stores sell reusable shopping bags, and some stores offer the option to e-mail your receipt to you. Everyone is making small steps -- even Costco is an Energy Star rated store, for cryin' out loud.

With the overwhelming corporate support for the green movement, many people feel that their individual contributions are insignificant. What good is recycling some yogurt cups and carpooling when the large corporations will save the world for me?

The problem is that these corporations are not going to save the world for you. In fact, I'm not even sure what an Energy Star rating entails. I tried deciphering the criteria for an Energy Star Rated store, however, it is written in a language I do not speak. However, I can tell you about the practices I see being exercised at Kohl's, the Energy Star rated store I work at.

I've worked at the same Kohl's department store for the last six years. A few years ago, I started taking note of the announcements claiming that the store is environmentally conscious. These announcements coincided with the giant, flat screen TV they installed in the break room. I also noticed that they did not reduce the use of paper products. Kohl's still uses paper towel in the bathrooms, rather than air-dryers, and a customer service survey prints with every receipt. And you know how they say they will recycle your old shopping bags? Those bags are thrown away like everything else.

Granted, I can only account for the store I work at. Not every store is subject to the same policies, and some stores demonstrate more environmental responsibility. A store in Chesterfield, Michigan is one of a handful of Kohl's stores that is installing electric vehicle fill stations in the parking lot.

Kohl's is trying to project an Eco-friendly image by virtue of these baby-steps. What I've learned is that these baby-steps are truly just PR moves, and often mitigated by shortcuts.

It's sad to admit, but you can't rely on anyone to protect the environment for you. Though your individual contributions are not capable of reversing the damage done by large corporations, a collective effort can make a profound impact. That is why I urge everyone to keep doing those little things, keep bundling old newspapers and junk mail to put out with your recycling bin, keep riding your bike to class or work, because we're all responsible for doing our part.

No comments:

Post a Comment